[gmx-users] Harmonic COM Restraints with the Pull Code

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon May 11 13:50:50 CEST 2015

On 5/9/15 9:52 PM, Eric Dybeck wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am looking to run a set of simulations in which molecules are slowly
> restrained to their COM positions. To provide some context, I am going to
> melt a solid, and I would like to restrain the molecules first so that they
> remain in their lattice position as the melting takes places.
>
> I believe that I can achieve this using the pull code, although I've never
> used this feature in gromacs before. As I understand it, the settings in my
> .mdp file should look something like:
>
> ; Pull code
> pull            = umbrella
> pull_geometry   = distance
> pull_dim        = Y Y Y        ; 3D harmonic restraints
> pull_start      = yes           ; define initial COM distance > 0
> pull_ngroups    = 1          ; This may need to be the number of molecules
> pull_group0     =              ; Reference molecule
> pull_group1     =              ; Restrained Molecule
> pull_rate1      = 0          ; No pulling rate, I am just keeping them in a
> fixed position
> pull_k1         = 1000     ; This number I will vary along the alchemical
> path
>
> In most of the pull code examples that I've seen, one atom group in the
> simulation is being pulled away from another atom group also in the
> simulation. In this case, the groups in the simulation will need to get
> pulled toward a fixed 'reference' point that is defined based on an initial
> configuration that I can supply. Is this doable? Obviously I could also
> give an absolute (X,Y,Z) coordinate of the desired COM based on the initial
> .gro file if that is easier to do.

The reference coordinates can be constant with grompp -r, which overrides -c for
the purpose of defining the reference for the restraint.  In your case, though,
you're effectively trying to restraint a molecule/group to itself in some other
state.  I doubt the pull code deals elegantly with this situation.  In theory,
you could define a duplicate for each atom that is just a dummy, with some fixed
position, that defines a reference for each pulled group.  Effectively, each
molecule is a "ghost" of itself.  Then you can assign each restraint.  I have no
idea if that will work; just a guess based on "typical" use of the pull code.

> Also, I will need to restrain all the molecules in the solid, rather than
> just a single molecule. Is it possible to have ~100 groups harmonically
> restrained with the Pull code?

Probably, but it's likely to be very inefficient.

If you're trying to melt a solid, wouldn't something like a sheer force using
acc-grps be more appropriate?

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629