[gmx-users] modelling/adding missing residues in case of Fatal error: Incomplete ring in HIS3

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 13 13:33:52 CEST 2015

On 5/13/15 6:16 AM, James Lord wrote:
> Many thanks Justin,
> I created a new .pdb file with SwissPDBViewr  but again executing pbd2gmx is
> giving the following warning and error
>

> Warning: Starting residue CA584 in chain not identified as Protein/RNA/DNA.
> Warning: Starting residue CA585 in chain not identified as Protein/RNA/DNA.
> Warning: Starting residue CA586 in chain not identified as Protein/RNA/DNA.
> Warning: Starting residue ACT587 in chain not identified as Protein/RNA/DNA.
> Problem with chain definition, or missing terminal residues.
> This chain does not appear to contain a recognized chain molecule.
> If this is incorrect, you can edit residuetypes.dat to modify the behavior.
> 8 out of 8 lines of specbond.dat converted successfully

> Program pdb2gmx, VERSION -4.5.4
> Source code file: /home/James/gromacs-4.5.4/src/kernel/resall.c, line: 642
>
> Fatal error:
> Residue 'ACT' not found in residue topology database
>
> Here is the link to new PDB, my question is what is ACT residue? and how to

Did you read the contents of the PDB file?

REMARK 280 CRYSTALLIZATION CONDITIONS: 0.2 M CA ACETATE, 20% PEG3350, 0.1 M
REMARK 280  TRIS HCL, PH 6.5, VAPOR DIFFUSION, HANGING DROP, TEMPERATURE 289K

If you visualize ACT you will see it is acetate.

> resolve this issue, any thought is greatly appreciated?

Given that it's a crystallization co-solvent it's unlikely to be functional in
any way, so you can likely delete it.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629