[gmx-users] mdp options for charmm27 force field in gromacs version 4.6.7

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue May 19 14:36:46 CEST 2015

Hi people,

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 11:38 AM Piggot T. <T.Piggot at soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> As far as I understand it, before GROMACS 5 the potential rather than the
> force was switched off. Since GROMACS 5 you can choose between the two.

No, as Chris originally asked, and Justin has now also said, there's been a
force switch (= potential shift) since living memory, e.g. compare manual
sections 4.1.5 at least as far back as 4.5.6. The documentation and
people's understanding hasn't been great (and more recent docs have tried
to improve this). I plan completing the clean-up operation when the group
scheme is removed (after 5.1) now that maintaining backward-compatible
execution paths is no longer a concern, particularly for simulation
protocols we no longer think are a good idea. You can see a sketch of the
future in the vdw .mdp options section of the manual for 5.0.5

One noteworthy point is that in 4.6.x, the Verlet scheme did not yet
support force switch, so such a simulation could not run on e.g. GPUs. This
was added in 5.0.

AFAICR rvdw-switch has no effect in the Verlet scheme if vdw = cutoff in
4.6.x, because the available modifiers in 4.6.x do not include any
switches. As I imply at http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/1413, I don't
think there's a decent way to implement CHARMM non-bonded settings in the
Verlet scheme in GROMACS 4.6.x. Whether some approximation works well
enough is your call.

As for the settings to use with the CHARMM force field, the CHARMM package
> itself (as Justin has said) uses force switching. However, in NAMD vdw
> force switching has only implemented from versions 2.7b3 onwards. For
> proteins, I cannot see this choice having a large impact as the paper
> implementing the CHARMM force field in GROMACS (Bjelkmar et al.) will have
> used the potential switch and all the

That paper used GROMACS pre-4.5, so definitely the group scheme. Poke the
coresponding author (Erik) if you want to find out which vdwtype was used;
the text is ambiguous.

Mark

simulation in NAMD prior to version 2.7b3 will have also used this