[gmx-users] Fwd: Bad performance in free energy calulations

Julian Zachmann FrankJulian.Zachmann at uab.cat
Tue May 19 18:10:15 CEST 2015

> > Concerning the changes of the atom types: the changes in the charges
> > are really small and the results will probably be the same if I would
> > not convert the whole ligand, just the 4 atoms which are changing.
> > However, as i had both ligands parametrised, I thought it would be a
> > good idea to really convert the whole ligand from one to the other,
> > and change all charges on all atoms.
> That's not what I meant.  I was wondering why you define a, say, ic3
> type and an mc3 type.  They are identical!  The charges are explicitly
> listed for both states so I think the atom types only affect the vdW
> terms.

There is no specific reason for it. After the parametrisation of the
ligands I just took for both of them all atom types and use them for the
ligand conversion - whether they are identical, only slightly different, or
not.

> On Tue, 19 May 2015 17:48:17 +0200
> Julian Zachmann <FrankJulian.Zachmann at uab.cat> wrote:
>
> > Concerning the changes of the atom types: the changes in the charges
> > are really small and the results will probably be the same if I would
> > not convert the whole ligand, just the 4 atoms which are changing.
> > However, as i had both ligands parametrised, I thought it would be a
> > good idea to really convert the whole ligand from one to the other,
> > and change all charges on all atoms.
>
> That's not what I meant.  I was wondering why you define a, say, ic3
> type and an mc3 type.  They are identical!  The charges are explicitly
> listed for both states so I think the atom types only affect the vdW
> terms.
>
> Cheers,
> Hannes.
>
> * Please search the archive at
> posting!

> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Julian Zachmann
Laboratori de Medicina Computacional
Unitat de Bioestadistica. Facultat de Medicina
Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
08193 Bellaterra (Barcelona). Spain
Phone: (3493) 581 2797
Fax:   (3493) 581 2344