[gmx-users] Fwd: Bad performance in free energy calulations

Hannes Loeffler Hannes.Loeffler at stfc.ac.uk
Tue May 19 18:12:59 CEST 2015

On Tue, 19 May 2015 12:03:41 -0400
Michael Shirts <mrshirts at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yep, that's what I generally do.  Almost all alchemical changes
> involve a difference in two calculations (since the alchemical change
> itself is unphysical).  Even one-calculation solvation free energy
> calculations are actually calculating the difference in free energy
> from liquid to vapor state.

This reminds me: there was recently a discussion around couple-moltype
on this list.  My understanding is that this can be used for "absolute"
free energies.  But what I really want to make sure is this: as far as
I can see in the code and I think the manual says that too is that when
couple-moltype is not set in the .mdp none of the other couple-
parameters have any effect should I set any of the to something.  Do I
get this right?

Many thanks for the answers,
Hannes.