[gmx-users] pdb2gmx: can we use a file to specify the protonation instead of using "-inter"?

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Thu May 21 16:59:45 CEST 2015

Dear Cheng:

You can define protonation states like this:

echo "0 1 2" | pdb2gmx -ff amber99sb-ildn -water tip3p -his

That will give you, in order for three HIS residues:
0. H on ND1 only (HID)
1. H on NE2 only (HIE)
2. H on ND1 and NE2 (HIP)

You can also use -inter, but you'll need to do a dry-run to see what order gmx asks you for these things in. From my tests, it follow an order that is first residue type (in order: LYS, ARG, GLN, ASP, GLU, HIS, disulfide bonds) and for each of these, order by residue number.

Chris.