[gmx-users] Segmentation fault (core dumped) version 4.6.*

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 21 19:50:37 CEST 2015

On 5/21/15 11:55 AM, Carlos Navarro Retamal wrote:
> Dear gmx users,
> In order to run my simulations, i usually used the 5.0.* version of gromacs without problems, but since i want to performed umbrella sampling simulations (and since the option pull_geometry=position is not available for the latest versions)
> For that,  i installed the 4.6.7 version of gromacs.
> The installation went without issue, but every time i used a command from gromacs i got the Segmentation fault (core dumped) error:
> Like for example, by using this command line:
> grompp -f npt_production.mdp -c npt_equilibration.gro -p topol.top -o npt_production.tpr
> i got this:
> Option     Filename  Type         Description
>    -f npt_production.mdp  Input        grompp input file with MD parameters
>   -po      mdout.mdp  Output       grompp input file with MD parameters
>    -c npt_equilibration.gro  Input        Structure file: gro g96 pdb tpr etc.
>    -r       conf.gro  Input, Opt.  Structure file: gro g96 pdb tpr etc.
>   -rb       conf.gro  Input, Opt.  Structure file: gro g96 pdb tpr etc.
>    -n      index.ndx  Input, Opt.  Index file
>    -p      topol.top  Input        Topology file
>   -pp  processed.top  Output, Opt. Topology file
>    -o npt_production.tpr  Output       Run input file: tpr tpb tpa
>    -t       traj.trr  Input, Opt.  Full precision trajectory: trr trj cpt
>    -e       ener.edr  Input, Opt.  Energy file
> -ref     rotref.trr  In/Out, Opt. Full precision trajectory: trr trj cpt
>
> Option       Type   Value   Description
> -[no]h       bool   no      Print help info and quit
> -[no]version bool   no      Print version info and quit
> -nice        int    0       Set the nicelevel
> -[no]v       bool   no      Be loud and noisy
> -time        real   -1      Take frame at or first after this time.
> -[no]rmvsbds bool   yes     Remove constant bonded interactions with virtual
>                              sites
> -maxwarn     int    0       Number of allowed warnings during input
>                              processing. Not for normal use and may generate
>                              unstable systems
> -[no]zero    bool   no      Set parameters for bonded interactions without
>                              defaults to zero instead of generating an error
> -[no]renum   bool   yes     Renumber atomtypes and minimize number of
>                              atomtypes
>
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> That is not telling me anything useful :/
> I tried also installing the 4.6.3, but sadly i have the same problems with this version.

A seg fault from every tool suggests something fundamentally wrong with your
GROMACS installation.  Without telling us exactly how you installed it
(installation commands, compilers, etc.) there's little to suggest.  A gdb
backtrace could be useful, but again if it's coming from everything there is
just something totally wrong and not program-specific to debug.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore