[gmx-users] Error using grompp - atomtype not found

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 26 13:38:47 CEST 2015

On 5/26/15 3:36 AM, Sotirios Dionysios I. Papadatos wrote:
> OK, thanks but now I have a question what is the utility of a molecule.itp. You could just add the parameters from the beginning in ffbonded, nonbonded, atomtypes etc. Now it feels like I have to do double the work.

There are two approaches.

1. Define new parameters in the .itp itself
2. Add the new parameters to the parent force field files

Either is valid, but I suggested #2 because it is easier for people who are
unfamiliar with topological order requirements to get it all right.  The simple
idea is "add parameters where all the other parameters are."

Force field parameters have to be defined before they can be used; this is why
you're not doing "double work."  You have a molecule that requires non-standard
or non-existent parameters.  You have to tell the force field that there are new
interaction types available to molecules in the system.  Only then can you
define molecules that make use of those parameters.  For full details on force
field hierarchy, see Chapter 5 of the manual.  If you're doing things
"manually," this chapter is going to be your best friend.