[gmx-users] Variation of distance between 2 CA atoms with time

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 26 22:47:02 CEST 2015

On 5/26/15 8:42 AM, Biplab Ghosh wrote:
> Dear Gromacs Users,
>
> I am new to Gromacs and using Gromacs-5.0.4.
>
> I want to calculate the variation of distance between to
> C-alpha atoms in a protein in course of time.
>
> First, I have created a file called: L153_V161.ndx using make_ndx
> and the content of the file is:
>
> [ L153 ]
> 2277
> [ V161 ]
> 2394
>
> Then I was running the following command:
>
> gmx_mpi distance -f protein.xtc -s protein.gro -n L153_V161.ndx -select
> 'com of group "L153" plus com of group "V161"' -oav
>
> I am not getting the distance L153-V163 as a function of time, rather its
> giving me some average distance of L153.

I don't understand what you mean.  You can't have a distance of a point.  Your
syntax correctly specifies how to calculate a distance, so that's what you
should be getting.  Typically you'd use -oall for a simple distance, but that
should probably be the same as -oav in the case of a single distance between two
atoms.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629