[gmx-users] Coul-SR: positive value for interating group

Raj D gromacs.for.f at gmail.com
Wed May 27 08:09:21 CEST 2015

Dear Users,
I have just completed simulation of a ligand and enzyme complex and
when I visualized the  trajectory , I have noted an important close
contact say about (7 to 10 A distances) between an active site residue
Arg and the carboxylate group of the ligand through out the simulation
time of 10ns. I wanted to quantify it using mdrun -rerun option and
evaluated energy (COUL-SR) value of the polor atoms of the Arg and
carboxylate as energygroup in my mdp file , and surprisingly I found
the values are big positive numbers whereas I expected a negative
values. Why the contradiction happens , trajectory showed attraction
and energy is dispersion ?

I just pasted few lines of the energy.xvg
@ s0 legend "Coul-SR:Arg262_NH-CPG_COOH"
@ s1 legend "Coul-14:Arg262_NH-CPG_COOH"
    0.000000    5.647315    0.000000
    2.000000    5.367461    0.000000