[gmx-users] Water organic solvents mixtures: Which force field to use and best practice to derive parameters

Diana Lousa dlousa at itqb.unl.pt
Thu May 28 11:15:12 CEST 2015

Hi,

Our group has done many studies using enzymes in organic solvents (with
different amounts of water) and we always used the GROMOS FF for the
proteins and compatible  parameters for the solvents. We can find a review
of enzyme simulations in nonaqueous solvents here:
http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2013/CP/c3cp51761f#!divAbstract

The parameters that we used for different solvents were able to reproduce
their physical-chemical properties. I can also tell you that from our
experience the latest GROMOS FF are able to reproduce the structural
properties of small peptides and proteins also seem to be quite stable when
these FF are used. Thus, using GROMOS 54A7 for the protein and compatible
parameters for organic solvents can be a good choice. However, if you want
to use PME for long-range electrostatics, you have to test if these
parameters work in these conditions, because they were developed to be used
with RF.

Diana Lousa
Post-doc
Protein Modeling Laboratory