[gmx-users] regarding pdb2gmx

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat May 30 14:28:21 CEST 2015

On 5/30/15 6:40 AM, soumadwip ghosh wrote:
> Hi all,
>          I have a general query about the basic functioning of pdb2gmx. I
> recently observed that when I take a PDB file for a DNA molecule and build
> its topology via pdb2gmx (in CHARMM27 ff) it automatically builds it
> without any hitches. If I look at the .itp file made for the DNA chain it
> looks like,
>
> [ atoms ]
> ;   nr       type  resnr residue  atom   cgnr     charge       mass  typeB
>     chargeB      massB
> ; residue   1 DC  rtp DC   q -0.5
>       1        ON5      1     DC    O5'      1      -0.66    15.9994   ;
> qtot -0.66
>       2        HN5      1     DC    H5T      2       0.43      1.008   ;
> qtot -0.23
>       3       CN8B      1     DC    C5'      3       0.05     12.011   ;
> qtot -0.18
>       4        HN8      1     DC   H5'1      4       0.09      1.008   ;
> qtot -0.09
>       5        HN8      1     DC   H5'2      5       0.09      1.008   ;
> qtot 0
>       6        CN7      1     DC    C4'      6       0.16     12.011   ;
> qtot 0.16
>       7        HN7      1     DC    H4'      7       0.09      1.008   ;
> qtot 0.25
>       8        ON6      1     DC    O4'      8       -0.5    15.9994   ;
> qtot -0.25
>       9       CN7B      1     DC    C1'      9       0.16     12.011   ;
> qtot -0.09
>      10        HN7      1     DC    H1'     10       0.09      1.008   ;
> qtot 0
>      11        NN2      1     DC     N1     11      -0.13     14.007   ;
> qtot -0.13
>      12        CN3      1     DC     C6     12       0.05     12.011   ;
> qtot -0.08
>      13        HN3      1     DC     H6     13       0.17      1.008   ;
> qtot 0.09
>      14        CN3      1     DC     C5     14      -0.13     12.011   ;
> qtot -0.04
>      15        HN3      1     DC     H5     15       0.07      1.008   ;
> qtot 0.03
>      16        CN1      1     DC     C2     16       0.52     12.011   ;
> qtot 0.55
>      17       ON1C      1     DC     O2     17      -0.49    15.9994   ;
> qtot 0.06
>      18        NN3      1     DC     N3     18      -0.66     14.007   ;
> qtot -0.6
>      19        CN2      1     DC     C4     19       0.65     12.011   ;
> qtot 0.05
>      20        NN1      1     DC     N4     20      -0.75     14.007   ;
> qtot -0.7
>      21        HN1      1     DC    H41     21       0.37      1.008   ;
> qtot -0.33
>      22        HN1      1     DC    H42     22       0.33      1.008   ;
> qtot 0
>      23        CN8      1     DC    C2'     23      -0.18     12.011   ;
> [...]

The grompp hierarchy is such that it (1) uses any parameters it finds explicitly
listed in the .top, (2) searches for any that aren't listed in ffbonded.itp, and
(3) throws a fatal error if it can't find any.  So it is entirely normal for
there to be no parameters listed in the .top (this is actually how all the force
fields work except GROMOS).  If you're playing around with non-standard
molecules, some parameters may not exist in the parent force field (note that
the CHARMM27 force field in GROMACS does not support CGenFF like our CHARMM36
port does, so its chemical space is more limited).

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore