[gmx-users] Cyclohexane simulation problem

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat May 30 14:30:03 CEST 2015

On 5/30/15 3:44 AM, mohsen shahlaei wrote:
> [...]
> nstlist            = 1            ; Frequency to update the neighbor list and long range forces
> cutoff-scheme   = Verlet
> ns_type            = grid        ; Method to determine neighbor list (simple, grid)
> coulombtype        = PME        ; Treatment of long range electrostatic interactions
> rcoulomb        = 1        ; Short-range electrostatic cut-off
> rvdw            = 1        ; Short-range Van der Waals cut-off
> pbc                = xyz         ; Periodic Boundary Conditions (yes/no)==================================================
>
> OOPS!! I got following fatal error
> =============
> GROMACS:      gmx grompp, VERSION 5.0.4
> Executable:   /usr/local/gromacs/bin/gmx
> Library dir:  /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top
> Command line:
>    gmx grompp -f minim.mdp -c chx_box.gro -p chx_box.top -o em.tpr
>

> Back Off! I just backed up mdout.mdp to ./#mdout.mdp.41#
>
> NOTE 1 [file minim.mdp]:
>    With Verlet lists the optimal nstlist is >= 10, with GPUs >= 20. Note
>    that with the Verlet scheme, nstlist has no effect on the accuracy of
>    your simulation.
>
> Setting the LD random seed to 1763529642
> Generated 165 of the 1596 non-bonded parameter combinations
> Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'chx'
> Warning: atom name 1 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAA - AA)
> Warning: atom name 2 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAB - AB)
> Warning: atom name 3 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAE - AE)
> Warning: atom name 4 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAF - AF)
> Warning: atom name 5 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAD - AD)
> Warning: atom name 6 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAC - AC)
> Warning: atom name 7 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAA - AA)
> Warning: atom name 8 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAB - AB)
> Warning: atom name 9 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAE - AE)
> Warning: atom name 10 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAF - AF)
> Warning: atom name 11 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAD - AD)
> Warning: atom name 12 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAC - AC)
> Warning: atom name 13 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAA - AA)
> Warning: atom name 14 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAB - AB)
> Warning: atom name 15 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAE - AE)
> Warning: atom name 16 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAF - AF)
> Warning: atom name 17 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAD - AD)
> Warning: atom name 18 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAC - AC)
> Warning: atom name 19 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAA - AA)
> Warning: atom name 20 in chx_box.top and chx_box.gro does not match (CAB - AB)

This suggests bad formatting of your input.  You've got a column shifted
somewhere.  Make sure that isn't impacting the interpretation of the
coordinates, which could be nonsense if they are similarly affected.

> WARNING 1 [file chx_box.top, line 58]:
>    528 non-matching atom names
>    atom names from chx_box.top will be used
>    atom names from chx_box.gro will be ignored
>

> Removing all charge groups because cutoff-scheme=Verlet
> Analysing residue names:
> There are:    88      Other residues
> Analysing residues not classified as Protein/DNA/RNA/Water and splitting into groups...
> Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group rest is 1581.00
>
> WARNING 2 [file minim.mdp]:
>    You are using full electrostatics treatment PME for a system without
>    charges.
>    This costs a lot of performance for just processing zeros, consider using
>    Cut-off instead.

grompp is trying to help you out.  Change the coulombtype setting accordingly.
You have no charges in a UA cyclohexane model, so the electrostatics method is
totally irrelevant.

-Justin

> Calculating fourier grid dimensions for X Y Z
> Using a fourier grid of 20x20x20, spacing 0.108 0.108 0.108
> Estimate for the relative computational load of the PME mesh part: 0.23
> This run will generate roughly 2 Mb of data
>
> There was 1 note
>
> There were 2 warnings

> Program gmx, VERSION 5.0.4
> Source code file: /home/mohsen/Downloads/gromacs-5.0.4/src/gromacs/gmxpreprocess/grompp.c, line: 2087
>
> Fatal error:
> Too many warnings (2), gmx terminated.
> If you are sure all warnings are harmless, use the -maxwarn option.
> any suggestion is appreciated
> best,
>
> Mohsen

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences