[gmx-users] Flat-bottomed potential from user-defined reference

Cosseddu, S.M. s.m.cosseddu at vu.nl
Tue Nov 3 12:28:32 CET 2015

Thanks Vitaly,

However, the manual actually say something slightly different, that is "These [restraints] are used to restrain particles to fixed reference positions Ri". From a quick look to the sources this is something that depends on pos0A and (in certain cases) on  a lambda and pos0B. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

>From a theoretical point of view the function that computes such restraints should be happy with  any reference. With user-defined reference, equilibration of the system might be more difficult, and worst case scenario everything blows up because of the excessively-strong forces, but these are a user issues.

My question is: is there any ways to set pos0A to some user-defined value? If this is not possible, it is because of the parallellisation scheme, and what is the most suitable method to implement such a spherical flat-bottomed potential?

I tried providing grompp with a structure file containing my user-defined pos0A via -c (i.e. coords of the relevant atoms were set to the center of my sphere), while my initial configuration and velocities were provided via -t and a cpt. Unfortunately it  didn't work.

Many thanks
Salvatore