[gmx-users] Getting a crystal topology file from pdb2gmx

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Nov 11 17:19:58 CET 2015

On 11/11/15 11:05 AM, Ben Tam wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> I am using Gaussian with basis set 6-31G* and LanL2DZ to calculate the charges of the structure and using UFF for the lennard jones. When I answered CHARMM27, I am assuming the question was what is the option that was given when I typed 'gmx pdb2gmx'. In all honesty, I have no particular reason for using CHARMM or AMBER. All I want out of it is the atom to atom bonding instead of painstakingly  insert it by manual.

The reason I ask is that the prerequisite for your work is that you have
incorporated all of that into a GROMACS force field (or built a custom one
yourself).  pdb2gmx does not work magic.  You need to have everything already
laid out in terms of the charges, types, and connectivity already.  A better
choice in your case is almost certainly x2top, because pdb2gmx is generally
intended for linear polymers with limited branching.  x2top will determine
connectivity from distances set in an .n2t file.  I would strongly suggest this
for any crystalline material.  The point about a custom force field remains, though.

-Justin

> Ben
>
>> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
>> From: jalemkul at vt.edu
>> Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 10:50:29 -0500
>> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Getting a crystal topology file from pdb2gmx
>>

>> On 11/11/15 10:37 AM, Ben Tam wrote:
>>> Hi Micholas,
>>> I am using CHARMM27.
>>
>> And, out of curiosity, what is the source of your Zr parameters?
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>>> Ben

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences