[gmx-users] problem with equilibration of DLiPC membrane

Catarina A. Carvalheda dos Santos c.a.c.dossantos at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Nov 12 20:03:45 CET 2015

Hi Shiva,

The answer to that question really depends on what you want to get from the
simulation. The normal procedure with lipids is to use a temperature just
above the phase transition to ensure that the membrane is in a
liquid-crytalline-like phase. For example, for pure DPPC, for which the
phase transition temperature rounds 314 K, a temperature of 323 K ensures
that the membrane is not in the gel phase.

Of course that this is important if you want to be as close as you can from
the physiologic behaviour, so what you should or should not do is only a
consequence of what you are interested in.

The conformational behaviour of lipid molecules highly depends on the
temperature (and other factors) and maybe in your case you are just trying
to use a temperature that is too high if you want to have a "well behaved"
system. Note that you are simulating the system at 300 K, which is
approximately 80 degrees above the phase transition.

I'm assuming that there's nothing wrong with your setup, but you should
double check it anyway. Never worked with DLiPC so I cannot help you
further.

Good luck.