[gmx-users] electric field

Man Hoang Viet mhviet at ifpan.edu.pl
Mon Nov 16 16:03:16 CET 2015

Hi,

I can confirm electric field (even laser-pulse form) in GROMACS (all
version from 3.0 to current newest one) work fine. To check it, you may
consider a system containing only an ion (say Na+) in vacuum and set mdp
file as:
#######
dt                  =  0.0002    ; ps !
nsteps              =  100  ; total 20 fs

Tcoupl              =  no
Pcoupl              =  no
gen_vel             =  no
E-x                 =  1 30 1
####

After run MD you may check the velocity of the ion and see how it work by
some general motion equations such as Force = -q*E = m*a -->
veleocity=a*t.

Additionally, the option -field of mdrun will give output of electric field.

Good luck!

Viet Man