[gmx-users] tutorial umbrella sampling

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Nov 29 07:04:22 CET 2015

On 11/27/15 5:36 PM, Matthias Kiesel wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am currently doing the umbrella sampling tutorial by Justin Lemkul, but i have
> a problem with creating the right configurations for the umbrella sampling run.
> After running the first pull simulation and the given perl script the com
> distances don´t go from 0.5nm to 5nm, instead they start at 0nm, go negative for
> a some time grow until ~0.3nm and go back to small and negative values again.

That's definitely not right.  Visualize the trajectory - does this match the
behavior there?  The pull should be pretty straightforward.

> When I visualize some of the .gro files (like conf250.gro) I can see something
> being pulled away from the rest of the Protein (how can I verify its Chain_A?)

It's the first peptide, numerically, and you created an index group for it in a
prior step in the tutorial.

> and in the created pullx.xvg the desired a COM-Distance curve going from 0.5nm
> to ~5nm is shown. Thats why i thought it´s a issue with the perl script or the
> trjconv / distance commands so that the wrong distances are extracted from the
> trajectories, but i couldn´t resolve it. I used the following trjconv command
> and the provided provided perl script:

Typo in the script.  In the gmx distance command, it should be -oall instead of
-oxyz.

> gmx trjconv -s pull.tpr -f traj_comp.xtc -o configs/conf.gro -sep // There was
> not traj.xtc file, only a traj_comp.xtc, any explanations?

New default naming.  I fixed the typo in the tutorial.  It should be traj_comp.xtc.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore