[gmx-users] Fwd: Help with Gromacs 5.1 mdp options for CHARMM27 force field

Rakesh Ramachandran korenpol3 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 21:17:47 CET 2015

Hi Justin,

    Thanks for the reply. I have few more doubts. I had mentioned CHARMM27
just for consistency with Gromacs naming. In the website it mentions that
those settings are for CHARMM36 and I read at lot of places that this force
field is good mainly for membrane proteins, so is it ok for me to use it
with CHARMM22/CMAP. Moreover I am using Verlet cutoff with GPU, so are
these options still applicable or I have to use vdw-modifier:
potential-shift-verlet.

I also noticed that the Dispcorr is set to 'no', is this ok. Also I
prepared my input files with CHARMM-GUI and I see tau_t - 1.0 and tau_p 5.0
whereas your tutorial has different values. I am confused as to how to
determine the optimal set of parameters and are all these parameters
optimal for CHARMM36 only.

I would be grateful if you could let me know what kind of tests or values
one needs to check to know if the parameters are appropriate for running md
with a protein in a particular force field or point me to the relevant
literature.