[gmx-users] Enthalpy of Vaporization

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 5 20:04:03 CEST 2015

On 10/5/15 2:01 PM, Rasoul Nasiri wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 6:52 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 10/5/15 1:50 PM, Pallavi Banerjee wrote:
>>
>>> Correct me if I am wrong, please. Ugas would be obtained from a simulation
>>> of a single molecule in vacuum. And U liq would be the total potential
>>> energy of the system (which is given by g_energy) minus the total bonded
>>> potential energy (bonds+angles+dihedrals). Am I thinking right?
>>>

>> No.  It's the actual potential energy.  You need the whole potential
>> energy to account for flexibility in the molecule.
>>

> Hopefully FFs can do this because of the anharmonicity effects caused by
> multi-structural effects (e.g., many coupling of torsions). This
> scenario will be serious when T goes up.

Indeed it depends to some extent on the size, flexibility, and chemical
composition of the molecule.  Additive FFs will inherently overestimate dipole
moments to account for a lack of polarization response, so generally very polar
molecules have poor DHvap values with additive models.  Simple hydrophobics are
easier and often agree better with experimental data.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore