[gmx-users] Free Energy of Liquid Water

Nathan K Houtz nhoutz at purdue.edu
Thu Oct 8 05:08:34 CEST 2015

Thanks for explaining, (and Professor Farais de Moura as well) that makes sense.

On a different note, I've noticed a huge difference in performance between my equillibration run and my actual simulation, and I'm wondering if this is normal. For comparison, I ran a couple small (meaningless) simulations where the only difference was the collection of free energy information and Gromacs slows down by a factor of 39. I had been under the impression that I would be able to do each simulation in just under an hour but now it looks like it will take the better part of two days, which is too much. I'll just have to run shorter or fewer simulations if I can't improve that, but I'm hoping I'm just doing something wrong. I'm essentially using modified versions of the .mdp file I found for this tutorial: http://www.alchemistry.org/wiki/GROMACS_4.6_example:_Direct_ethanol_solvation_free_energy. I changed things like turning off the pressure coupling, changing the temperature, etc. The settings for free energy calculations are unchanged. Is the calculation of dh/dl really that expensive, or is this abnormal?

Thank you for the help as always. Regards,
Nathan H.