[gmx-users] Adding ion to force field

Irem Altan irem.altan at duke.edu
Wed Oct 21 15:54:23 CEST 2015

Thanks, leaving out .ff worked!

I’m still having a bit of trouble using the resulting .gro and .top files, though. I’m trying to create an executable that adds ions to the box, with the command

grompp -f ions.mdp -c box_h2o.gro -o ions.tpr -p topol.top

which gives me the error

Fatal error:
Syntax error - File ffnonbonded.itp, line 1
Last line read:
'[ atomtypes ]'
Invalid order for directive atomtypes

All I did was to add a line to the end of [atomtypes] with the info for the new ion:

YB          70     173.04    0.0000  A   1.65600e+00  4.00000e-02

What could be the problem?

Best,
Irem