[gmx-users] Run time for energy minimization, nvt, and npt equilibration

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Aug 1 23:44:53 CEST 2016

On 8/1/16 4:47 PM, Thanh Le wrote:
> Hi guys, I have a question regarding the run time for energy minimization,
> nvt and npt equilibration steps. Currently, I am doing a RNA-protein
> simulation (using ff amber14 and spce water model) in a 10 A octahedron box
> containing almost 400k solute atoms.
> For the energy minimization step, I did it for 2 ns and received a

There is no time in EM, only number of steps.

> potential E of nearly -2.25e-7.

Check your exponent :)  Surely your system does not have an energy of
(effectively) zero.

> I am also doing 2ns for nvt and npt equilibration steps.
> My question is: is 2ns too long for these steps?

You need to run long enough for the observable(s) of interest to converge.  Have
they?

> Also another question regarding running simulation on a cluster: do I need
> to install gromacs mpi to run it on parallel? Is it necessary since I read
> in the literature gromacs would use all the available cores to run if I
> dont specify the number of cores.

Depends on the configuration of the cluster, how many cores you intend to use,
etc.  Everything is here:
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Acceleration_and_parallelization

Consult with your sysadmin for best performance on whatever hardware you have.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore