[gmx-users] CPU running doesn't match command line

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 16:59:58 CEST 2016

Hi,

Without log and hw configs, I it's hard to tell what's happening.

By turning off pinning the OS is free to move threads around and it
will try to ensure cores are utilized. However, by leaving threads
up-pinned you risk taking a significant performance hit. So I'd
recommend that you run with correct settings.

If you start with "-ntomp 8 -pin on -pioffset 8" (and you indeed have
16 cores no HT), you should be able to see in htop the first eight
cores empty while the last eight occupied.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd