[gmx-users] "Fatal error: Atomtype CH2 not found" in grompp command

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Aug 16 21:22:27 CEST 2016

On 8/16/16 3:04 PM, Elissa Fink wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users,
>
> I am simulating a protein-ligand complex and I am performing the grompp
> command before adding ions to the system:
>> gmx grompp -f em.mdp -c solv.gro -p topol.top -o ions.tpr
>
> and I get the error:
>
> "Source code file:/build/gromacs-z6bPBg/gromacs-5.1.2/src/gromacs/gmxpreprocess/toppush.c,
> line:1353
>
> Fatal error:
> Atomtype CH2 not found"
>
> I checked for CH2 groups in the solv.gro file and there are 4 in tryptophan

Anything that says CH2 in a coordinate file is an atom name, not an atom type.
The problem comes from atom types, which is a force field/topology issue.

> residues. I am running the complex with the amber99sb-ildn force field. I
> checked the force field .rtp file for the tryptophan name of a CH2 group.
> It has CA, so I changed the 4 CH2 groups to CA in the solve.gro file. I
> reran the grompp command above and got the same error. This makes me think
> the problem is not the tryptophan CH2's in the solve.gro file.
>
> Any recommendations for addressing the CH2 atom type not found?

A CH2 type is a united-atom type coming from the GROMOS force fields.  This
means you've mixed and matched force fields, which is not appropriate.  You need
to have a self-consistent force field representation for the system.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore