[gmx-users] Gromacs 2016 building issue

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Aug 19 13:45:20 CEST 2016

On 8/18/16 8:44 PM, Victor Rosas Garcia wrote:
> I thought the "build" directory had to be *outside* the gromacs source
> directory.  Don't know for sure if that makes a difference.

No, the build directory can be wherever you like, and building within source is
fine (and recommended in the install guide).  One should not *install* within
the source as that generates problems.

The full CMake output would be helpful here, as clearly the build process is
doing something it shouldn't, but that is probably specific to the system in
question, because as Mark said, it is not anticipated that GROMACS should be
throwing this sort of error.

> [...]
>>
>> Thank you for your answer. I just have redone again everything but I get
>> the same problem. I am not even compiling with MPI or GPU support and I
>> have the same.
>>
>> Hereis my procedure:
>> """
>> tar xzvf gromacs-2016.tar.gz
>> cd gromacs-2016
>> mkdir build
>> cd build/
>> cmake -DGMX_GPU=OFF -DGMX_MPI=OFF -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/
>> q.kaas/share/gromacs-2016_nompi/ -DGMX_BUILD_OWN_FFTW=ON
>> -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF -DGMX_SIMD=AVX_256 ..
>> nice -20 make -j 2
>> """
>>
>> And the answer is the same:
>>
>> """
>> (...)
>> [100%] Built target libgromacs
>> Linking CXX executable ../../bin/template
>> /opt/pkg/2015Q2/lib/libxml2.so.2: undefined reference to `gzopen64'
>> make[2]: *** [bin/template] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** [share/template/CMakeFiles/template.dir/all] Error 2
>> make: *** [all] Error
>> """
>>
>> What is this "template" doing? Could that be coming from this binary?
>> There is no such thing in 5.1.3.
>>
>> Thank you
>> Quentin
>>

>> On 18/08/16 22:17, Mark Abraham wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> GROMACS 2016 doesn't use libxml2 at all, so it looks like there's something
>> strange going on with how you've done that build, because there's no way
>> the template can have such a linking dependency.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 2:43 AM Quentin Kaas <q.kaas at imb.uq.edu.au> <q.kaas at imb.uq.edu.au> wrote:
>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I just tried building Gromacs2016. The build went fine until it reached
>> the linking stage:
>>
>> linking CXX executable ../../bin/template
>> /opt/pkg/2015Q2/lib/libxml2.so.2: undefined reference to `gzopen64'
>> make[1]: *** [bin/template] Error 1
>> make: *** [share/template/CMakeFiles/template.dir/all] Error 2
>>
>> Could someone help me tell cmake to tell ld where the zlib library is?
>>
>> I compiled Gromacs-5.1.3 about 10 min before trying the new 2016 version
>> and it went without any complaint. There might be something to fix in the
>> 2016 version?
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Quentin
>> --
>>

>> --
>> *Dr Quentin Kaas*
>>
>> Institute for Molecular Bioscience (IMB)
>> Level 2 North, Building 80, The University of Queensland, Brisbane QLD
>> 4072, Australia
>> F: +61 7 3346 2021
>>
>> http://researchers.uq.edu.au/researcher/1804
>> http://www.conoserver.org/
>> http://cybase.org.au/
>>
>> --
>>
>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore