[gmx-users] Problem in Free Energy Calculations

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jan 4 11:50:38 CET 2016

On 1/4/16 1:09 AM, shagun krishna wrote:
> Hi Justin,
> You mean to say that I don't need to follow your Free Energy Calculations :
> Methane in Water.
> Actually I want to calculate the binding energy of my ligands with my
> protein. All I should do is to run the one simulation of my ligands simply
> in water and another is the protein-ligand complex simulation, both for
> 10ns. I am really very confused because I have gone through literature and
> all of them have calculated the value of α, β and  γ, which i guess can be
> calculated by using free energy codes.

I don't use the LIE algorithm, so I don't know all the details.  AFAIK these are
empirical parameters to weight various contributions to the interaction energy.
  LIE is ultimately an estimate of the free energy, and its accuracy depends on
the quality of the fitted parameters.

A rigorous free energy calculation is the best method for calculating free
energy of binding.  For instance, LIE (again, AFAIK) relies solely on enthalpic
terms, so it does not account for entropy unless you do additional work to
figure this out separately.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629