[gmx-users] Non-Integral Charges

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jan 12 14:59:13 CET 2016

On 1/12/16 8:54 AM, sun wrote:
> Hello Everyone I want to know how to change the non-integral charges? I am
> simulating a pentameric model of protein in water and the net charge comes
> out to be -5.0. Everything goes ok till final mdrun. As soon as its started,
> it carshes. Is it dus to wring topology as the charges are non-integral?

-5 is an integral charge. Typically one does not do simulations with a *net*
charge, though.  But the charge alone will not cause an immediate crash.
Something else is wrong.  Please see
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy