[gmx-users] how to maintain planarity of graphene sheet

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jan 14 13:43:29 CET 2016

On 1/14/16 2:13 AM, jagannath mondal wrote:
> Hi
>
>    Which restraints can one  use to maintain planarity of graphene sheets
> while performing MD simulations of their association ? I guess
> flat-bottommed restraints will not work.

Planarity is governed by dihedrals, either proper, improper, or both, depending
on the form of the force field.  If your simulations conditions lead to
deformation, either the force field representation is wrong or whatever you're
doing during the simulation is not physically sound.  Though, AFAIK graphene is
not completely planar; some out-of-plane distortions are to be expected, as with
any aromatic system.  The amplitude of that distortion is generally not large
but is dependent upon whatever is going on in the simulation.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore