[gmx-users] Launch hybrid MPI/openMP run on multiple nodes

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 15:01:27 CET 2016

Hi,

Your job scheduler and/or MPI launcher is most likely to blame. The fact
that mdrun warns about the logical core (hardware thread) mismatch means
that the OpenMP runtime thinks that you should be using one thread per
rank. This typically means that the MPI launcher or job scheduler set an
affinity mask for each rank and likely mdrun also skipped pinning threads
because of this.

This should however alone not cause nodes to be empty, but rather it would
cause ranks to overlap and run on the same core.

In any case, you should pass the correct ranks/node threads/rank settigns
to your launchers; to ensure correct rank placement you'll have to either
set up affinities through the scheduler or let mdrun do it.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd