[gmx-users] Energy profile of a single water molecule on Ni surface

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jan 23 16:10:35 CET 2016

On 1/23/16 10:06 AM, Alexander Alexander wrote:
> Thank you Justin.
>
> My primaraly case.mdp file is below, would you please have a look to see
> everything is fine beside of energygrps to get what I want to calculate.
>
> Meanwhile, I also red something about single point energy calculation using
> "mdrun -s input.tpr -rerun configuration.pdb" referred by this link
> https://mailman-1.sys.kth.se/pipermail/gromacs.org_gmx-users/2015-August/100166.html
> So,  where this stand respect to what I am desiring?

If all you want is the interaction energy for some fixed configuration, then
it's really easy.  You just define energygrps as needed and calculate the energy
of that configuration.  For more, see
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Single-Point_Energy

If you want to calculate the energy over time for some dynamics simulation, then
just add energygrps. I don't know why you would be freezing water (allowing the
surface to move but not the water?) but that's all up to you in terms of your
experimental design.  The interaction energy itself is trivial.

-Justin

> water-ni.mdp
> +++++++++++++++
> integrator = md
> dt = 0.001 ; ps
> nsteps = 1000000 ; = 0.5 ns tot
> nstcomm = 10
> nstxout = 0
> nstvout = 0
> nstfout = 0
> nstlog = 10000
> nstenergy = 500
> nstxtcout= 100
>
> nstlist = 10
> ns_type = grid
> coulombtype =cutoff
> rcoulomb = 1.0
> vdwtype = cutoff
> rvdw = 1.0
>
> ;Couplig Temp
> tcoupl = v-rescale
> tau_t = 0.1
> tc-grps = System
> ref_t = 298
>
> ;Costrain Bond
> constraints = all-bonds
> constraint_algorithm = LINCS
>
> ;Coupling P
> Pcoupl = no
> Pcoupltype = isotropic
> tau_p = 1
> compressibility = 4.5e-5
> ref_p=1
>
> ;Generate velocity
> gen_vel = no
> gen_temp = 298.0
> gen_seed = 173529
> cutoff-scheme = Verlet
>
> ;Freezing
> freezegrps = SOL
> freezedim = Y Y Y
> ++++++++++++++++++
>
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 1/23/16 9:16 AM, Alexander Alexander wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Gromacs user,
>>>
>>> I am a new user trying to produce the energy profile of a single water
>>> molecule on Ni(111) surface, I mean adsorption energy of water molecule on
>>> surface VS the distance of the molecule to surface. The goal is to compare
>>> such a profile with the same profile out of DFT.
>>>
>>> Adsorption energy in DFT is defined as:
>>>    {Ad_energy = [Total energy_(water-surface)] -  [Total energy_(surface)]
>>> -
>>> [Total energy_(water)]}
>>>
>>> How can I calculate the adsorption energy in MD - gromacs? Which one I
>>> should choose out of "gmx energy -f case.edr ....?  "Total-Energy" or
>>> "LJ-(SR)" or Potential energy ... .
>>>
>>> After lots of effort navigating the gromacs manual I could manage the
>>> attached inputs file for my calculations, but to be honest,  I really
>>> don't
>>> know how my results are reliable. So, to improve my input files and
>>> comment
>>> and suggestion are highly welcome.
>>>

>> The mailing list does not accept attachments.  Obtaining what you want is
>> easy:
>>
>> energygrps = surface water
>>
>> in the .mdp file will do it.  Whether or not that's anywhere close to the
>> DFT result depends on the force field and how it was parametrized.

> [...]

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences