[gmx-users] Energy profile of a single water molecule on Ni surface

VITALY V. CHABAN vvchaban at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 12:59:59 CET 2016

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 12:16 PM, Alexander Alexander <
alexanderwien2k at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Gromacs user,
>
> I am a new user trying to produce the energy profile of a single water
> molecule on Ni(111) surface, I mean adsorption energy of water molecule on
> surface VS the distance of the molecule to surface. The goal is to compare
> such a profile with the same profile out of DFT.

I would do that using some of global optimization algorithms. MD will not
give you a profile.

Steered MD is an option, as well.

Here is the example: http://vixra.org/pdf/1512.0290v1.pdf

> Adsorption energy in DFT is defined as:
>  {Ad_energy = [Total energy_(water-surface)] -  [Total energy_(surface)] -
> [Total energy_(water)]}
>
> How can I calculate the adsorption energy in MD - gromacs? Which one I
> should choose out of "gmx energy -f case.edr ....?  "Total-Energy" or
> "LJ-(SR)" or Potential energy ... .

You need to sum up all components relating to potential energy, like LJ,
Coulomb, PME-Coulomb part, and so on

This is to be done for every species separately and together to insert into
the above formula.