[gmx-users] GPU efficiency

Albert mailmd2011 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 16:43:25 CET 2016

Dear Mark:

Thanks for the comments.

I am also very surprised to see the results.  In my impression, Gromacs
always has the best efficiency for MD GPU running....

I talked this with one of my friends who also uses Gromacs for several
years. And he told me that he also found similar testing results by
himself recently....It would be even worse that Gromacs heavily use both
CPU+GPU and the efficiency is obviously much slower than Amber.

What's need to point out is that Desmond even uses 1 GPU+1 CPU, the
speed is as fast as Amber running with 2 GPU+2CPU. I contacted Desmond
supporters, and they told me that they optimize the algorithm recently
which fasten the running 2 times comparing with previous Desmond
release.  As we all known that Desmond developer created ANTON which is
amazing. It seems that they have some breakthrough in GPU these days
although currently it only supports 1GPU+1CPU for a single job. If in
the near future, they somehow manage to use multiple GPU for a single
job, it will change everything a lot.

regards

Albert