[gmx-users] how to modify the code to generate more controllable checkpoints to restart?

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 15:40:11 CET 2016

Hi,

Vitaly's suggestion is incomplete, inasmuch as there are things like
thermodynamic coupling algorithms that need to preserve information across
restarts that are not x/v/f, so don't get written to the .trr file. In the
old days, those were written to the .edr file, and the combination of .edr
and .trr was enough for a binary-identical continuation. That's still
possible, but the .cpt is much more convenient for the purpose. Note that
you will generally not be able to reproduce the same trajectory, even
though the restart is binary identical. See
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Reproducibility. But
anyway you were wanting to change parameters, so grompp -p new.top -t
old.cpt is your friend.

Mark