[gmx-users] Simulation runs indefinitely

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jan 27 13:45:45 CET 2016

On 1/27/16 6:28 AM, anu chandra wrote:
> Hello Gromcas users,
>
> I having been simulating few membrane-protein systems for about ~300ns,
> using a 20 ns window for each run. Though I used the command ' gmx_mpi
> convert-tpr -s md20.tpr -f md20.cpt -e md20.edr -o md21.tpr -extend 20000 '
> to generate the tpr file for the next run, interestingly, one of the system
> ran for ~26000 ps and only got terminates once the run reached wall-clock
> time. All other systems terminates after successfully completing 20000 ps,
> as prescribed.  I just wonder why simulation of one of the system continued
> indefinitely, as rest of the systems behaved as expected. All systems have
> almost same composition, just differ in the ion concentration.

There must be some problem in your script when you're creating the input.  mdrun
doesn't decide to run any number of steps it likes.  Probably you've failed to
supply a checkpoint file, so the run starts over from the beginning in that
instance.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629