[gmx-users] Define custom moltype for free energy calculations

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jan 28 16:03:40 CET 2016

On 1/27/16 9:50 AM, Tom Newport wrote:
> To give some background, I would like to be able to perform free energy
> calculations using a variety of different fairly complex selections to
> specify which bits of the system to turn on or off. These may include
> several proteins and several different ligands. There are other proteins
> and ligands which I do not want to include. This is for coarse-grained
> (martini) simulation of proteins and lipids, although I assume that doesn't
> make a difference.
>
> So, how is a moltype specified in GROMACS, and what is the least messy way
> of adding several molecules to one moltype? (or can this be specified more
> easily, say through using an index file?)

AFAIK, no, index files aren't useful here.  The free energy code works on
anything defined as a [moleculetype], and only one at a time.  So you would have
to merge whatever your molecules are into one [moleculetype] for this to work.
That can be rather laborious to get everything hacked together and renumbered
correctly.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629