[gmx-users] Pressure of an energy minimized system

Rakesh Sharan rs11chembhu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 14:30:58 CET 2016

Dear all,

I have a question regarding computation of pressure of an energy minimized
(using steepest decent) system. I would expect that the pressure of an
energy minimized system should have contribution only from the virial part
of the pressure expression (as there is no temperature). However, when I am
computing pressure using g_energy, the pressure (P_tot) and pressure
computed from virial (P_vir = (-1/3Vol)*(Vir_xx+Vir_yy+Vir_z)/3)) are
significantly different and P_tot is exactly six times P_vir. I am not able
to understand the origin of this discrepancy. I would highly appreciate
comments/suggestions from this forum. I would also very much appreciate any
alternate suggestion for computing pressure of energy minimized structures.

Thanks very much!

Best,
Rakesh