[gmx-users] Query about a simple MD with constant electric field

Ivan Gladich igladich at sissa.it
Thu Mar 10 11:33:14 CET 2016

Dear Prof. Spoel
first of all thank you for your reply.

1) No, I did not get any warning about PME and charge system, just a
note

NOTE 4 [file topol.top, line 23]:
   System has non-zero total charge: 1.000000
   Total charge should normally be an integer. See
   http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Floating_Point_Arithmetic
   for discussion on how close it should be to an integer

2) I tried the simulation with a plain cut-off scheme and no PME and but
still my positive ion moves with constant velocity.
At the link below you can see my files, the coord.xvg and the veloc.xvg
for the coordinates and the velocity of my ion

https://goo.gl/Q0pyR9

3) Following your suggestions, I have also tried an MD using PME and two
ions of opposite charge. The two ions were placed at about 2.5 nm
distance, interacting only through electrostatic and with a cut-off of
0.9 nm. Interestingly, here the behavior seems correct with the velocity
that grows linearly with time (see velocBr.xvg and velocNa.xvg attached
in the link below)

https://goo.gl/TDM0lZ

Thus  my new  question....Does the electric field in Gromacs works only
with PME and neutral system?

Thank you very very much for your help
Ivan