[gmx-users] Regarding using random seed

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Mar 10 16:00:00 CET 2016

On 3/10/16 3:21 AM, neha chaudhary wrote:
> Hello Sir,
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> I need to clear one more doubt, if I am performing MD simulations with the
> mentioned parameter set but using same initial structures then will it
> affect the reproducibility of the results.
> Actually, I have repeated MD simulations for my protein-ligand complex
> three times but I have taken the same initial structure every time using
> the same parameters while performing NVT simulations followed by NPT and MD
> run (gen-vel = no in npt.mdp and md.mdp file). Is this procedure correct if
> I want to testify the reliability of my results.

"Reliability" and "reproducibility" are different things.  Your results are
reliable if you have (1) a sound physical model, (2) application of appropriate
algorithms, and (3) sufficient sampling.  Running multiple simulations addresses
point 3 but not the other two.  Reproducibility means you get the same average
behavior, so that's related to point 3, but that does not mean that everything
will be exactly the same (or even that the same .tpr will necessarily generate
binary identical trajectories; see the GROMACS website for discussion on this
topic).

-Justin

> continuation = no
> gen-vel = yes
> gen-seed = -1
>

> Best Regards,
>
> *Neha*
>
> Research Scholar,
> Centre for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics,
> School of Life Sciences,
> Central University of Himachal Pradesh,
>

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Tsjerk Wassenaar <tsjerkw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Right!
>>
>> T.
>> On Mar 9, 2016 12:24 PM, "neha chaudhary" <nehachaudhary769 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> So all I have to do is to extract different configurations from my
>> already
>>> performed MD simulation. Then I have to prepare a new system using that
>>> configuration with the following parameters and rerun the simulations:
>>>
>>> continuation = no
>>> gen_vel = yes
>>> gen-seed = -1
>>>
>>> Right?
>>>

>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> *Neha*
>>>
>>> Research Scholar,
>>> Centre for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics,
>>> School of Life Sciences,
>>> Central University of Himachal Pradesh,

>> what

>> configurations,