[gmx-users] Regarding energy calculation of head groups

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 11 13:49:25 CET 2016

On 3/11/16 12:20 AM, Raju Lunkad wrote:
> Dear all Gromacs users,
> I wanted to calculate the enthalpy of headgroups of the surfactants. In
> "mdp file" I have mentioned the energy as N4_O2 (Surfactants head groups)
> but I am getting the following error:
>
>   atoms 1 and 4 in charge group 1 of molecule type 'BTM' are in different
> energy groups
>
> I am not sure but in my opinion,  the error is coming because of the N4
> contains  -0.5 charge and O2 contains -0.7 charge.
> Kindly tell me how to mention energy groups in "mdp file" with charged
> atoms.

The error has nothing to do with charge.  The energygrps you defined are
splitting a charge group, which is not something you can do.  I also don't know
what value there would be in calculating the enthalpy of part of a larger
molecule, but that's for you to decide...

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore