[gmx-users] How to Search Forums and Creating Binary from Existing Topology/Trajectory File

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 11 23:22:35 CET 2016

On 3/11/16 5:17 PM, Robert Molt wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I have two questions, one general, one specific.
>
> The big question is that I do not understand how to search the GROMACS forums
> efficiently. The search bar on
> (http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List) allows a search to
> be conducted, but the links shown do not seem to be of the user forums and are
> very slow to load when selected. I can see the grand list of all messages on
> (https://mailman-1.sys.kth.se/pipermail/gromacs.org_gmx-users/) but it's not
> clear to me how to search it for a particular string.

Use Google.  Enter your search term(s) and then "site:mailman-1.sys.kth.se" at
the end.

> The specific reason I wanted to search the forums was to answer a very specific
> question. I may as well pose it here, as well. I have converted an Amber
> trajectory into the GROMACS form; I have also converted an Amber parameter file
> to a GROMACS form. I would like to create a GROMACS binary (tpr file).
>
> 1.) From what I have gleamed from tutorials, I need to use a variant of the
> pdb2gmx command (presumably not for a pdb, but for a trajectory)?

pdb2gmx only reads a single coordinate file (and a topology doesn't generally
vary over a trajectory).  See below.

> 2.) I also do not wish to use the methods of various tutorials like
> (http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/lysozyme_old/index.html)
> in terms of loading an existing force field; the parameters I have were
> developed in-house. I thus would like to load my converted-from-Amber-to-Gromacs
> topology file. Instead of the -ff flag, what flag indicates use of an existing
> parameter file?

Since this is the case, you can't use pdb2gmx.  You'll need something to convert
your custom force field/topology to GROMACS format.  Try ParmEd.  Other
converters also exist.

Whether or not you *need* a .tpr depends on the type of analysis you're trying
to do.  Most programs carry on happily with only a coordinate file.

> 3.) An important caveat: I have to use the 4.5 version of Gromacs. I hope the
> commands are all the same, since I know the current version of Gromacs is 5.0

More or less, but do look at
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Tool_Changes_for_5.0

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy