[gmx-users] The cut-off length is longer than half the shortest box vector or longer than the smallest box diagonal element

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 16 14:18:50 CET 2016

On 3/15/16 12:23 PM, Poncho Arvayo Zatarain wrote:
> Hello, i ḿ working in a lipid bilayer using charmm36 forcefield and trying to
> do NVT equilibration but when i use grompp for nvt i receive the folowing
> error:  The cut-off length is longer than half the shortest box vector or
> longer than the smallest box diagonal element. Increase the box size or
> decrease rlist. I read about this at Manual of Gromacs and decrease the rlist
> but the error is still there. The other solution is to increase the box size
> but, it is safe to do this? or what can i do? i can attach my nvt.mdp file if
> you wantThanks

Cutoffs are an intrinsic part of the force field, so your box must be large
enough to avoid minimum image violations.  Any reasonable lipid bilayer should
be in a box large enough that no issues should arise.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore