[gmx-users] Distance between two specific residues

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Mar 17 15:05:27 CET 2016

On 3/17/16 12:01 AM, Abid Channa wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users, I am trying to calculate distance between two specific
> residues of active site of my protein in MD. I have made separate .index file
> of  two specific groups. Then I am trying this command " gmx distance -f
> md_0_1.xtc -s md_0_1.tpr -oav distance.xvg -select -n index.ndx -tu ns ".
> When I am selecting my residues numbers for option -select in above command.
> error  appeared that pairs are not found in your selection residues (1st
> residue "11 atoms" and 2nd residue "15 atoms" ). Kindly guide me how I
> calculate distance between two specific residues in MD.

If your index groups are named, e.g. r_1 and r_2:

gmx distance gmx distance -f md_0_1.xtc -s md_0_1.tpr -oav distance.xvg
-select 'com of group "r_1" plus com of group "r_2"' -n index.ndx -tu ns

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore