[gmx-users] Warning: you have generated 17732 solvent molecules which are not multiple of 11 .

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 18 12:40:54 CET 2016

On 3/18/16 6:31 AM, jkrieger at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk wrote:
> Definitely use modeller first. Then go through everything again.
>
> I'm happy you solved the problem with the multiple of 11. Perhaps Justin
> or Mark or someone could comment on why it said that. While it makes sense
> to replace solvent atoms with ions in most cases, I would have thought any
> replacement would work including parts of proteins and ligands.

When adding ions, genion assumes the user is replacing a block of uniform
molecules.  So it checks the first residue in the selected group, and if it
doesn't match the subsequent residues, it fails.  So if one chooses something
like the protein or the whole system, the number of atoms in each residue will
not be the same.  So clearly the user has done something very wrong.

-Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629