[gmx-users] Temperature dependence of virial of an initial configuration

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 18 13:01:52 CET 2016

On 3/17/16 11:50 AM, rakesh sharan wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a question regarding computation of different components of virial of
> my starting initial configuration using Gromacs. When I am running job by
> setting nstep  = 0 (system is bulk spce water) to get potential energy and

Note that doing a run with zero steps is not a true single point evaluation.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Single-Point_Energy

> components of virial of my starting configuration, I am observing that output
> components of virial are strongly temperature dependent, even though
> potential energy is fixed. This is very surprising to me, as one would expect
> that both energy and virial of a starting configuration should be independent
> of temperature. I would highly appreciate any thought over this temperature
> dependent virial of my initial configuration. I would also appreciate very
> much if you could suggest any robust way to get the contribution of virial to
> the total pressure of a given configuration.

Manual section A.1 describes the virial computation in detail.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore