[gmx-users] Ligand breaks during energy minimization

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Mar 26 04:29:55 CET 2016

On 3/25/16 8:03 PM, Soumya Lipsa Rath wrote:
> Dear Justin and Nikhil,
>
> Many thanks for your suggestions. Justin, I had optimized the parameters
> using VMD's FFTK toolkit, so I just replaced my results in the *.str file
> obtained from paramchem.
>
> I tried minimizing the ligand in vaccum and in a solvent box, in both
> cases, the molecule just scatters apart (pardon me, the bond doesn't
> break).
>
> I think there might be something wrong with the topology. However, I just
> followed the general steps.

Well, when relying on automated methods fails, you have to roll your sleeves up
and do the work yourself :)

If you can provide the stream file and coordinates of the ligand, I will try to
offer suggestions; if you can share them publicly across the list it may be
informative for others to listen in on the conversation.

Note, though, that the CGenFF paper is itself a tutorial on how to parametrize
small molecules, and there are even more detailed CGenFF tutorials available
online (check our website).

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629