[gmx-users] on the gromacs force field for keep helix

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 06:34:08 CEST 2016

Hi Brett,

There is no GROMACS force field. Now the original GROMOS force fields 53a5
and 53a6 are known to be more unstable in the helix department than they
should, so better not use those. There are newer versions of 53a6 and
there's 54a7, which are fine. I'm actually not entirely sure what version
of the 53a6 version is now included in the GROMACS distribution.

As a side note, don't pin yourself on keeping the helix. If it doesn't want
to keep with nowadays force fields, there's quite a chance that it's not
going to be a helix all the time.

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk