[gmx-users] virtual site - algorithmic reasons

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Mar 31 13:08:01 CEST 2016

On 3/31/16 6:06 AM, Samith Rathnayake wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Recently i was used to started Bevan Lab tutorial  and gone through
> specially with virtual site tutorial.In this tutorial Dr.Justin emphasized
> that co2 cannot effectively build in traditional sense  because of
>   algorithmic reasons. And cant hold 180 degree during a simulation.Could
> any one elaborate what are this "algorithmic reasons" ? any publication
> upon this virtual site techniques in any gromos force field? and also about
> this algorithmic reasons ? And if it is okey to used this virtual site
> techniques in gromacs 4.6.5 version ?

There are mailing list posts about it; I forget the details but the long and
short of it was that the fluctuations around a 180-degree angle lead to
numerical instability in the code.  IIRC that was fixed some time ago, but I
would not expect 4.6.5 to work.  Try the newest version and see if you can get
away with a linear angle without any fancy work.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore