[gmx-users] a question related to minim.mdp

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Thu Mar 31 18:53:32 CEST 2016

It depends on what you want to do. If you simply want to minimize the system so that the dynamics will be stable in MD, then I have never needed more than 500 steps of minimization (though in some cases I find it necessary to use flexible waters and solutes via the mdp options define=-DFLEXIBLE and constraints=none). On the other hand, if you're trying to find a minimized structure for normal mode analysis, I gather from previous posts that one has to get really right to the potential energy minimum, which would mean setting nsteps arbitrarily large and letting the program define when no more minimization can be accomplished (perhaps among other things like the right combination of minimization schemes).

Chris.