[gmx-users] Fwd: CUDA compilation problem for Gromacs 5.1.2 (with fix)

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Tue May 10 18:47:12 CEST 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know what they have done, but there is currently no way to ship a
> distro with a default compiler of gcc 5+, that can compile CUDA code with
> that compiler, without some work-around.

I'd say that's the other way around: NVIDIA is unwilling to release updates
to their compiler, creating lots of incompatibility issues.

> Distros are normally unwilling to
> ship with more than one system compiler,

Depends how you define "system", gcc 4.7-5 are available in the universe
repositories.

> and they wouldn't hold the
> compiler version back just for CUDA developer support, so I imagine they
> have done something like you suggest.
>
> Whether GROMACS wants to consider making this case work transparently is
> another question... That would depend whether stock Ubuntu 16.04 has such
> an issue with whatever gcc 5 it has.

That would be a quite useful things to know; i can look at it but not later
than the end of this week or next week. Can anyone else test?

--
Szilárd